Monday, July 14, 2008

Un Paseo and Ugly Babies

I don't know any words in English or Spanish to describe the insanity of the Running of the Bulls Festival in Pamplona. Really, it's ridiculous how much people can trash out an entire city in one night.

But it was alot of fun. Danielle, Melissa, and I walked around the whole night looking at landmarks and pretty buildings. We saw the Paseo de Hemingway and his statue put up in rememberance of his book The Sun Also Rises. All that can be said more about Pamplona can be better understood in my pictures which I have yet to post so I will try and get a faster internet connection soon.

Melissa, Monica, and I took a stroll along the beach and climbed a mountain on Monday (literally) and experienced some of the most amazing views I've seen of Spain so far. I think we must have walked at least 3 miles from the beach all the way a mountain where a lighthouse is on top, and then back down. Summer is definitely the season for Northern Spain. Everything is so green, and the whole town, it seems, shows up at the beaches along the Bay. In Spanish, "to take a walk" is "dar un paseo," and Spaniards always manage to squeeze un paseo into their schedule somehow, and now I know why. In Northern Spain, the sun doesn't start setting until about 10PM or so, so they have plenty of time in the cooler hours to take walks along the bay until what we might call a late hour.

There are no ugly babies in Spain. Another girl who was in the first summer program in June suggested this to me and at first I didn't believe her. But I've looked everywhere and so far I can find not even one. When you ask a little kid to write what sound a cat makes, he or she will write "miau." The other day my host father pronounced "Alabama" as "Ah-le-va-ba," and it took me forever to figure out what he was saying. We don't eat lunch until about 2pm and dinner around 9:30pm. I've heard men taking walks along the bay suddenly burst out in song with no inhibitions.

Anyway, we're going to Bilbao and San Sabastian this weekend, so more later, and may be pictures :)

Sorry so short, and scattered. I have a limited time on the internet.

No comments: