Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Lesson in Biology

Did you know (according to wikipedia) that our eyes contain thousands of tiny vessels that pump blood and allow light and other information to pass through for our brain to process? Millions of microscopic Rods and Cones separate that information into colors, and other nerves pass along information about space and depth down a mind-blowing maze of organized blood streams that eventually connect to the rest of the body.

Now, imagine that wonderful system 10,000 times smaller, sliding down the back of your throat, contracting down through your esophagus, and finally being consumed by stomach acids.

Whenever my Senora said what we were having for lunch today, all I heard was "arroz con something-something," and I said to myself, "arroz... hey that's rice. I like rice." Well apparently the something-something I missed was some type of shell fish typical of this region of Spain. The dish mixed rice and peppers and shell fish (which were still in their shells), and looked up at me as I continued to force myself to try at least one. Let's just say it didn't really agree with me.

1 comment:

4howl said...

We are so proud of you! Take care of yourself! Gregg, Denise, Grady and Grace 4howl@tx.rr.com